Sunday, February 12, 2012

Varanasi






Bangalore is now just a memory. A pleasant one I suppose. It was a bit underwhelming actually. I did get to see the Bangalore Palace which up until the 1970's was in fact still home to the local Maharajah. It is now a museum and is used for weddings....one of which was happening while I was there. The west can learn MUCH about celebrating a wedding from India!!!

I arrived Varanasi and headed for the hotel....and realized very quickly that what we consider a thrill ride in the U.S. at an amusement park simply can't hold a candle to driving in India.
As we drove to the hotel I asked my guide what kind of skills are needed to drive in India. His response: (and please imagine this with a strong Indian accent)...."Three things are important to drive in India". "First, a good horn, second, good brakes, and third, good luck". NO JOKE!!! All three of us had a good laugh at that....as we careened all over the road a break neck speed I might add. I asked my guide if our driver Praful(ironic as a really good friend of mine at work is Praful) had good luck....he paused for a second and said..."I think so"....hmmmmm...good times!!!

At 5pm I met my actual tour guide for my time here, Rajev ..and "Lucky"...the name I have given Praful my driver, was back. So off we went to the Ghat's on the Ganges to watch the Hindu Brahman priest's offer prayers as the sun sets. And by the way, I will never complain about traffic again. I didn't think you could pack so many people, rickshaws,tuk tuk's, cars, bicycles, trucks and buses on such small streets...but they do it here...=)
Varanasi is the city of Shiva,the Hindu god of destruction, in a good way. He destroys evil spirits. And because Varanasi is also on the Ganges, or Mata Ganges(Mother Ganges)it is also THE place a devout Hindu wishes to come to die. By dying here and having one's ashes placed in Mata Ganges, he or she can skip the reincarnation process and proceed directly to Heaven. So, many, many Hindus come here when they are preparing do die. Which explains why this tiny city has over 3 million people living here.
Back to the prayer ceremony. BEAUTIFUL!!! It reminded me in some ways of our Christian praise and worship services with singing and prayers. But it is much more of a feast for the senses here.
There were probably several thousand Hindu pilgrim's and tourist's gathered on the bank of the Ganges as the musicians started and the Bhraman's went through their prayer rituals with incense, candles, and flowers. They went through several cycles of prayers with the various implements, each time rotating to face North, South, East, and West. All the while the music and chants continue, the bells ring, and the drums are sounding. Add the smoke and fragrances from the incense, the candles floating in the background on the Ganges, and hundreds of boats crowded with Hindu pilgrims makes for an experience that is difficult to quantify.

No comments:

Post a Comment